[unpaid/sample/affiliate/ad] I wonder whether there have been conversations in the beauty back rooms about whether to hold back launches of certain products or whether it’s just an unstoppable machine whose wheels have to turn come what may. I don’t know how full coverage foundations are faring in the market when mostly the trends are leaning towards a more natural skin look.
The new variant of L’Essential (which I love) is a 24 hour wear formula. Don’t take this literally – it’s just a way to emphasise the long wear. The other difference is that it is a ‘natural matte’ which means that it’s not dewy but still allows a little light bounce so skin doesn’t look flattened. Best, probably, for oiler skin types.
I’m a big fan of L’Essential Natural Glow so while I like the feel and composition of this, the finish is not quite right for me. Guerlain is making a big push to be clear about their naturally derived ingredients (actually, they are impressive in their commitment to nature) – this foundation contains 96% naturally derived ingredients – and the other 4%? The brand says ‘L’Essential has nothing to hid. The remaining 4% are chosen in good conscience.’ Which, frankly, I love – they’re not compromising by using ingredients purely on the naturally derived scale if they compromise the quality of the product and 4% seems acceptable on that front for a product that performs well. The whole ‘natural’ thing is a minefield anyway – it’s difficult for brands to work their individual messaging into categories that are already mired in confusion.
Next up is Givenchy’s Prisme Libre Skin-Caring Glow, so called because it has more of a luminous finish. It’s not high coverage but it’s more than a skin tint or tinted moisturiser and texturally, its nicely moisturising. The blend was easy and the coverage gave a slight skin blur with enough pigment to give a uniform look to my complexion without blotting out natural variations. The sample shade was too light so it’s hard to assess the finish when you’re distracted by a ghostly cast but it was skin enlivening rather than dulling. So, that’s a win. It’s also a high natural origin formula at 97% and it claims 90% skin care ingredients so no wonder it’s hydrating.
In the swatch above, bottom is Givenchy in 1-C105 (30 shades) and Guerlain (30 shades) in 02N. I’ve found Givenchy on Escentual for £34 rather than £40 HERE, non-affiliate HERE, and Guerlain is £44 HERE, non-affiliate HERE. Guerlain is SPF15 and Givenchy doesn’t mention an SPF on the packaging or their website.
All products are sent to me as samples from brands and agencies unless otherwise stated. Affiliate links may be used. Posts are not affiliate driven.
Oh drool, I love that Guerlain packaging. That bottle looks so tactile and has a hold me in your palm and enjoy sensation! I have also noticed on their website they are delivering to the UK again woohoo. After your earlier post about Les Meteororites and with the Meteoristas team in mind I’m going to have to purchase something or 3 rather fabulous from them. Plus they have adorable mini sprays of their Les Aquas scents. Merci as ever Jane, hope you and yours are all keeping well xxx
Thanks Chrissie! Lovely to hear from you as always x
Thank you Jane. Thank goodness for your blog, a total ray of beauty sunshine and news all throughout these strange times. Buying beauty online makes me realise how much I miss the shops and being able to swatch colours and spritz scents. I have had a couple of err interesting bad buys in the online lipstick department recently and am off to Superdrug now for some essentials and a treatlet or two. xx
Thank you so much – it’s so nice to hear that 🙂 Enjoy Superdrug!